Saturday, September 18, 2010

Words of Beauty

Besides sewing, I love to read. This one is not about vintage fabric....instead a book recommendation.

I am so pleased I have had this book on the go. I picked up the first book Odd Thomas in an op shop, just after having seen a glowing review in the Good Reads magazine. Written by Dean Koontz, I normally would have left it alone- I have barely launched into magical and mystical loving Harry, His Dark Materials and Eragon (so I knew my eldest son's choices) and was not after the supernatural. Read I did. To my delight I discovered there were more Odd books, I completed Odd Hours last night. Sometimes, Koontz's words and Odd's learnings are so beautiful it makes me stop:

  "Grief can destroy you - or focus you. You can decide a relationship was all for nothing if it had to end in death, and you alone. Or you can realize that every moment of it had more meaning than you dared to recognize at the time, so much meaning it scared you, so you just lived, just took for granted the love and laughter of each day, and didn't allow yourself to consider the sacredness of it. But when it is over and you're alone, you begin to see it wasn't just a movie and dinner together, not just watching sunsets together, not just scrubbing a floor or washing dishes together or worrying over a high electric bill. It was everything, it was the why of life, every event and every precious moment of it." (Dean Koontz, Odd Hours, in Chapter 32)

I just read today that Koontz has plans for 7 Odd books. I will look forwards to reading the next one- it helps me appreciate the moments of "grace" in my own world.

No comments:

Post a Comment